Southside Baptist Church
Tuesday, October 17, 2017
Gaffney, South Carolina

History

 

1921 - Started as mission to the people of the Musgrove Mill Village by the First Baptist Church of Gaffney and the South Carolina State Mission Board.


1923 - Constituted as a self-supporting church with the name Musgrove Baptist Church chosen.

1950 - Land purchased on West O'Neal Street for the purpose of building a larger facility to meet the needs of the growing church.

1951 - First Worship Service was held in the new facility on April 5.

1952 - Church voted to change the name to Southside Baptist Church.

1958 - A new educational wing was added to the church.
 
1980 - Sanctuary was remodeled.

1995 - Additional parking area was added.

2007 - Family Life Center Completed.
 

 

Southside has a wonderful history, but it has an even greater future.  At the heart of a great church is God’s people being faithful to the direction of the Holy Spirit.  Buildings and programs will come and go, but one thing that will not change at Southside is the passion to carry out God’s Great Commission - to reach the world for Jesus Christ.

Pastors who served the Musgrove Baptist Church: 

Rev. J.L. Painter

Rev. Walker Robertson

Rev. B.B. Hill

Rev. Paul Dobbins

Rev. Roy Robinson

Rev. J.A. Dobbins

Rev. Carol Wright

Rev. James Bryant

 Rev. G.W. Allen served as pastor of the church under the names of Musgrove Baptist Church and Southside Baptist Church.


Pastors who have served the Southside Baptist Church:

Rev. Otis McCluney

Rev. Harry E. Crosby

Rev. Terry D Cagle

Rev. Robert M. Dockery

Dr. Wofford B. Caughman Jr.

Rev. Charles D. Wilborn


We are a Southern Baptist Church, affiliated with other Southern Baptist Churches in the Broad River Baptist Association, the South Carolina Baptist State Convention and the Southern Baptist Convention.